Sunday, January 11, 2009

3am family perspective

I'm in Austin for the next several days for a conference. It's a yearly thing, and this is the fourth year, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now. But I'm always amazed at how quiet and awkward the nights are while I'm here. I'm usually running for about 16 hours during the day, but when I come back to my room I usually just .... Sit. I have no idea what to do with myself. I try to read, but it doesn't hold my attention. There's usually nothing worth watching on tv. I brought movies on my iPhone to watch, bit don't feel like it. So I just sit and check my e-mail or look out my window at the conference center across the street. Luckily last night I went out to dinner with the Marketing Department, which was actually fun.

But last night I woke up about 3:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I lay there really missing a snuggly Bubby or cold Kristi feet. It was probably only 30 minutes or so before I drifted back to sleep, but without some of those little things that are comfort things, it felt like hours. It's amazing to me how clear one's perspective on life and family can be at 3:30 in the morning.

For as much as I dislike the nightime disruptions - feedings and diapers and bedhogs - I'll take them all over a lonely hotel room any day.

1 comment:

MommyGirl said...

no cold Kristi feet here...I'm totally wearing YOUR socks! come home and reclaim them, boy-o...i dare ya!