Wednesday, December 24, 2008

First things first...

Our goal going into Christmas this year was to keep the first things first:  faith, family and friends.  I think we've done pretty well...we haven't been in a mall once since the beginning of December, and I haven't logged much Target time at all.  :)  The gifts are all wrapped and under the tree, and except for James', have been for a while.  Our friends are receiving/have received gifts of goodies rather than gift cards, time rather than money.  (Sorry if I just spoiled it for you, btw).  We've had the pleasure of having Hannah with us for the past couple of days, which has kept Kayci busy and given me a chance to play candymaker.  Well, cheap and easy candymaker--I've pretty much just been dipping things.  And yes, I'm hooked...I finally had to stop today when I ran out of chocolate and almond bark.  Probably a good thing, as the laundry was calling.  Anyway, we've celebrated with Nana and Dan, and will see Jhido and Najwa, GoGo and Angus after Christmas.  All that's left is Christmas here today and tomorrow, and our Clarkson Christmas tomorrow.  

But I digress...our focus this year has been on our faith, our family, and our friends.  While we've not done so well with getting to church on Sunday mornings, I'd argue that this year more than ever we've all (James, Kayci & I) really been able to remember why we have Christmas in the first place.  I won't go into that here, because you guys know what it's about.  

What's funny, and ultimately why I took a minute to post this morning, is HOW the 3 of us have been able to focus on the reason for the season.  We started off this month reading "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" to Kayci.  It quickly turned into Mommy reading to Kayci, Daddy and Noble every night...and every night we'd just laugh and laugh at the Herdmans.  But you know, what's funny is that seeing Christmas through the eyes of those little heathens has really made it STICK with us...thinking of Imogene saying "My GOD!" in church can make me giggle still.  I guess that's the beauty of it--seeing Christmas through the eyes of the unchurched made me/us realize just how blessed we are that God gave us his only Son at Christmas (or whenever your church calendar says...you get the point).  So that's what we're celebrating today, with grateful hearts.  

That's not to say there wasn't a little dancing and singing this morning when Kayci realized that Santa Claus comes tonight...but at least this year, she gets that he comes because HE came.  

Merry Christmas, everybody!!!

No comments: