Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Man

It's been such a wild week, in so many ways. I would say we're recovered from the storm...but we have a houseful of evacuees and any time we leave the house the chaos, etc. in the stores, gas stations, restaurants out here just remind us that something horrible has happened down the road. When Rita hit, we went to New Braunfels and basically had a vacation away from the mess and stress. There's no getting away from Ike, and the reminders of the damage he's inflicted. But enough about Ike--frankly, I'm tired of him.

Kayci is out of school today for the fair (life in a small town, folks), but she went to school as usual Monday & Tuesday. Monday evening, we were working on her homework. Each week they learn a new letter & sound. So far, they've learned /i/ and /t/, this week is /p/. Part of their homework is to find a picture of something that starts with that sound, glue it on the little paper and write the word. The first week, she used a color copy of Hannah's birthday invitation. Last week, she used the picture of her on top of the new table. So this week, I said, instead of using a picture of something from our house, take the magazine I gave you last week and find something in there that begins with p.

I was in the kitchen cooking, and from the office I heard: "Mommy, I'm gonna be the MAN!" I was kind of on to what she meant, but I just said, "you are?" "Yeah! Instead of ONE picture, I'm gonna do THREE! I'm gonna be that man. No, THAT GUY!" Is that my kid or what??

No comments: