Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What's in a blog?

After my last rant on this site, I got an e-mail message from Kristi: "quit posting that crap on our family blog." That led invariably to discussions about what exactly this blog is for. I was under the impression that it was about who we are - personality, opinions and just goofy things that interest us. But Kristi reminded me that it was originally intended just to be a way for our family and friends, who are scattered literally across the world, to keep up with us, to see what's going on in our lives and to help keep in touch. She asked me to please start my own blog if I wanted to post geeky advertising stuff and opinion.

I thought about it quite a bit. At first I was dead set against it. This is partially my blog, after all. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Kristi was right. This should be an innocent place about family. It should be G-rated, and it should be about family. The beauty of the internet is that I can have my own little space where I can rant about everything - and nothing - until my heart is content. In my own little world I can post to geeky things like typography and new logos. And people can read it if they want - or not.

So, today I'm announcing the creation of my own little blog, Destructoville, at www.destructoville.jamespharaon.com. You won't get the posts in e-mail like you do with the Pharaon Family blog, but I will post a link here when I've posted something that might be interesting. And this space will be reserved solely for family matters.

That being said, I think I should take the time here to clear up what exactly the Pharaon Family blog isn't. It isn't meant to be a day-by-day recounting of our lives. In no way can we possibly post every picture we take on the blog or relay every story. There just isn't time. We'll continue to post the highlights as we have time. There are a lot of things that, while they are notable and cute, just don't make it to the blog, and we're sorry for that. Kristi has her hands absolutely full with a baby who thinks that sleep is for the weak (and trying to get any actual work done for her job, to say nothing of running the house.) I've got a day job that keeps me busy and I try to find time to be a good Dad in the evenings. And then there's the mountain of freelance work I try to get done late at night and in the morning.

Not whining here, just trying to illustrate that we've got actual lives going on. The blog is our way of letting the world into our lives when we can slow down long enough to share. There's so much that we could put on the blog if that's all we did. I've got a great post in draft - for someday - about the Pharaon Boarding House. And Soccer practice. And backyard camping. And so on...

All that being said, we've discovered that we really like this whole blogging thing. And we especially like the feedback we get from family and friends. So keep it coming, and we will, too.

No comments: