Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Like buttah!


Thanks to my Kansas cousins for introducing us to making butter!  This is one of those things I would do in my PPCD classroom, but I never knew what I was doing and now I know we never quite got it right (sorry, Ms. Elaine!).  A few years ago at the reunion, Connie brought in glass butter churns (is that what you call them?) and we made butter.  The older generation told us the different tricks to making great butter, like the cold water bath.  It was a lot of fun, and when we came home we made our own butter several times before it went the way of most things that take more than a few seconds.  

Anyway, since Dad was in the hospital, I wasn't able to go up to Kayci's school on Halloween and do an art activity with them.  So, I asked Mrs. Bolcerek if I could do something this week instead, like make butter or do hand turkeys.  We planned it for today at 12:30 so Daddy could join us, too.  We had a blast, and I think Kayci and her friends did, too!  I was impressed that the kids got into it and all but a couple of them had a pretty good jar of butter.  It was so funny to see the kids piling the butter on their crackers...I'd say most of them came up with  2-3 Tablespoons of butter, and there wasn't much left on the plates at the end.  Ugh!  Kayci is a butter eater from way back, so this was right up her alley.  :)  I was proud that she didn't make a peep when it was time for us to leave...I was worried we'd have some drama when it was time to say goodbye.  I have to say, I'm disappointed they're not doing a feast or anything.  (They'll do it next year in 1st grade.)  Not disappointed enough to like, do one myself, but you know...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you know...... there is not much else to do in Kansas but make butter and watch the grass grow... just kidding!!!! Don't let the Kansas cousins get mad a me!!!!

The butter in PPCD always tasted good to me and the students sure didn't know any different!!!!

And come on..... I can't believe you didn't plan a feast. Are you broken????

Happy Thanksgiving
and
XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Oh geez.....
I hit the button before I put in my name

It was me :)

MommyGirl said...

Hee hee...and you think I'm broken...
:)