Monday, November 24, 2008

Na Na!

I was watching Noble explore this morning and talking to him, listening to him, and it occurred to me: the child is fascinating. (I don't mean that Kayci was less than fascinating, but life was moving at the speed of light 5 years ago and I didn't always take the time consistently to just be in awe of her.) Anyway...we're very blessed right now to be at a point where we can just stop, look and listen.  

James and Kayci (or, more to the point, Da Da and Dee Dee) haven't lost any sleep over it, but my big ol' ego and I have been dying for Noble to say Mommy.  Or Ma.  Or Ma Ma...I don't care what you call me, just call me!  For a while now, when he wanted me, he was just go "nnnnnnn" (reminded me of my Resource class learning about Norman Newsome's nose going nnnnnnn nnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnn...).  We even joked about it, how he didn't need to say my name, he'd just make a noise and I'd be there.  (Um, yeah, not overprotective at all but when the kid gets quiet, you'd better run...and if gets quiet and THEN he calls you, you'd better fly.  Case in point:  last night he went into Kayci's room while we were making pizza.  I kept going in to check on him, all was well.  A few minutes later, we heard...wait, that would ruin what I was going to say.  Well, he started calling our names and I ran in there and he was up on Kayci's stool on his knees, stuck.)

Okay, so this one's a round trip.  Back to the nnnnn...I didn't think that was my name, per se, as much as the sound he made when he needed comfort or cuddles, i.e. Mommy.  He does say nigh nigh when he's ready to have a bottle and cuddle to sleep, and he's always said "neh" when he's hungry. So the nnnnn sound is kind of a basic needs thing to us.

 Well...this weekend the nnnnnn evolved into Na Na.  We've heard it over and over, crawling through the house, Na Na Na Na...getting stuck, Na Na Da Da...3:17 this morning in the crib, Na Na?  Da Da?  Na NAAAAAA...  Standing beside the tub this morning, waiting for me to put him in the shower with me, Na Na.  

So there it is, I have a name.  I've been totally psyched about it, too.  But just now, he went over to the buffet and stood up to check it all out, reached into the wine rack and started saying Na Na!  Na Na!  I told him "ah ah!" so he'd put his hands down, and he did.  He wasn't stuck, so I didn't go get him.   I was like, oh, he's talking to me.  Then he actually got a bottle of wine, and I said NO! NO! as I hurried to grab it/him.  He said Na Na!  Hmm.  Crap.  

Ooh, and speaking of:  one of Noble's favorite words is poop.  I think it must feel fun to say it--I know I have fun with it.  :)  He crawls around, poop poop poop.  What's cool is, he knows what it means, because when I ask him "do you have poop?" He'll grin if he does, or say "uh uh" if he doesn't...or ignore me if he's still working.  

I wish the camera looked out instead of in...I'm sitting on the couch and he's standing in front of me, peering around the computer playing peek a boo.  It's cool, because it's HIS game, not me playing with him.  What fun!  

Okay, hang in there...

Both of Brad & Sherri's girls have pacifiers.  If you'll remember, Noble refused his pacifier a long time ago in favor of his thumb, and now won't take either.  We had to keep a close eye on him this weekend...he'd stalk the baby, waiting for us to let our guard down so he could swoop in and steal her passy, as Addie calls it.  At one point, we let him take it, thinking he'd realize what it was and lose interest.  Nope.  If you can picture him on his tummy/elbows, both hands on the pacifier just chewing the heck out of it, turning it around, etc...after just a minute, he was literally wet up to his elbows and laying in a puddle.  So I washed it, gave it back and we dug up one of his as a decoy.  We thought we were smart, but he got us...he was in the office with Addie, and I guess she put her passy down to go do something.  James and I were cooking or something, just keeping one eye on him.  He turned around and put his back to us, and was sitting there all hunched over.  I realized what he was doing, and whispered to Daddy.  He called Noble's name and Noble turned around with Addie's passy in his mouth, and when he saw Daddy looking at him he whipped his head back around like, you don't see me.  After that, we couldn't get him to look at us--guess he was "hiding."  Not so well, but hey, he's young yet.  It was hilarious that he thought he was pulling one over on us, though.  And yep, we washed the passy and didn't let him have it again...it was funny, though.  Don't tell Brad & Sherri, we'll be off their list...

No comments: