Monday, November 24, 2008

Sunday Blues

Last night I was sitting on the couch giving Noble a bottle.  The pizza was ready and it was past time to eat, so James fixed our plates and brought them into the living room so we could all sit together while I fed & cuddled Noble.  Kayci sat next to me, and she was just picking at her food.  Finally, she turned and said:

I need to tell you something.  I don't want to go to school tomorrow.  I know it's not a choice, but I just wanted to tell you that I don't want to go.

I was shocked that she'd said it so well, instead of whining or throwing a fit, etc.  Of course, I was at a loss for words and was looking for a balance between babying her and telling her to butch up, so in the meantime she did start crying for real...it was sad, because she's right.  Here's are her main gripes, in no particular order...

It's not fair that I have to go to school for 5 days and only get to stay home for 2 days.  (We talked about that, but hey, what can we really say?  We ALL feel that way!)

I have to go to school and you both get to stay home.  (I said, no, Daddy goes to work while you're at school and she said no, both you and Noble.  Well, crap.  Yeah...)

While I'm at school, the three of you have lunch together every day and I don't get to have lunch with you.  (Well, yeah, but we don't get the cool lunch box, so we'll call that a draw.)

I don't like going to school every day.  It's hard.  (This is the first time since she went to KinderCare as a toddler that she's gone anywhere for 5 days in a row...I don't blame her on this one.  Last year when she started going to school 4 days a week, I was lost for a long time.)  

This was one of those parenting moments when you can't take the time to huddle, you just have to muddle your way through and hope you get it right.  I don't know if we got it right, but she woke up happy and ready to go this morning, so that was a relief.

Alrighty...I've been blogging this morning for a few seconds here and there--now I've got to get back to grading before Noble realizes he's asleep and wakes up.  Happy Monday! 

1 comment:

Kim said...

Kayci definatly had some well thought out arguments! It must have been hard to stay strong!!